Trail: Mount Flora
Length: 6.3 miles RT
Elevation Gain: 1,788 ft
Where: Empire, Colorado (on the way to Winter Park)
Closest Town: Empire/Winter Park
Distance from Denver: ~ 1 1/2 hours
Hiking Mt. Flora
Mount Flora has been on my bucket list for years, and it was way more than I expected! I knew this hike was mostly above tree line, but the 360 views were truly spectacular. The elevation gain starts out a little strong, but once you get above the tree line it turns into a gradual uphill then evens out. There are a lot of “False Peaks” along the way as you really just hike along a spine till the eventual peak. Check out AllTrails for more details and trail reviews.
Tips for Hiking Mt. Flora
- I started the hike around 7:44 am and made it to the peak at 9:23 had a little cheese plate and sat in two different spots, then was back down to my car by 11:28
- The peak is 360 views so pack a snack/lunch and take your time enjoying each view
- The trail is popular and the parking lot was starting to fill up by 7:45 am
- The trail is very rocky, no scrambling but a few boulder fields to cross
- I don’t think you need poles but a hat and windbreaker are a must
- No water on the trail so pack in everything that you need
What To Pack and Wear to Hike Mount Flora
I was so happy I read the reviews on All Trails before doing this hike. Intuitively I know that being above the tree line is more exposed but it’s super windy. This hike would be brutal without a windbreaker.
I wore my Halfday leggings, a tank, Free Fly pullover, and my Helly Hanson pullover windbreaker. I also had my my Patagonia R1 jacket for the start of the hike which was a little chilly. I run super cold, so I also had light gloves that I was super thankful to have them cause the wind was blowing! Oh, and of course a hat & sunscreen, again you are totally exposed on this hike so so lots of sun and wind.