** While all of these brands state they are pregnancy safe (see links) I’m not a doctor and neither are they so always double-check with your doctor first!**
**This is not a comprehensive post of things to avoid in pregnancy – google that.**
My skin has been a hot mess in pregnancy and I was really starting to love using a few products like retinol that are not pregnancy safe. So I went on the search for products that would help with dry skin, wrinkles, and dark spots that were pregnancy safe. Here is what I have found…
- Flakey Skin > Exfoliant = Biossance Squalane Lactic Acid Resurfacing Night Serum (used nightly) & Vinoperfect Brightening Glycolic Peel Mask (used weekly)
- Wrinkles > Pregnancy Safe Retinoal Replacement = Caudalie Resveratrol Lift Instant Firming Serum
(used in the morning)
- Dry winter skin > Heavy Moisturizer = Caudalie Vinosource-Hydra SOS Intense Hydration Moisturizer (used when needed)
- Dark Spots/Melasma Treatment = Biossance Squalane Vitamin C Dark Spot Serum (used nightly) or Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum
Pregnancy Safe & Sustainable Skincare Brands
So this is kind of wild, the company behind this super clean skincare also created biotechnology to help deliver an accessible cure for malaria! Amazing! The team then turned their attention to creating incredible skincare from clean ethically sourced ingredients like squalane. Squalane was traditionally is derived from shark livers, however, Biossance scientists discovered a way to derive squalane from plants. Squalane is like an amazing moisturizer that helps with elasticity and skin damage, won’t clog your pores, and is suitable for sensitive skin.
- Every ingredient is vegan, clean, and sustainably sourced.
- All packaging including boxes is recyclable. The boxes are actually made from sugarcane paper!
- All shipments carbon is offset by planting trees or restoration programs
- Pregnancy safe? Head here and search “pregnancy” for their answers
**Their website touts saving sharks which are great, but looking across the market of skincare products with squalane I only found plant-derived squalane. Allure says the large majority are as well.
I have been obsessed with this amazing French brand, Caudalie, for a few years. Pair french winery owners and a pharmacist and you get some groundbreaking products.
- the first patent of resveratrol in 2001 (a sort of like natural retinol found in vines).
- In 2005 they used the sap from vine stalks to paten Viniferine which works to reduce dark spots.
All of their products use clean sustainability-sourced materials (read more here) and use sustainable packaging too + they are part of 1% for the planet. Also, their customer service is incredible! When I was researching which products were pregnancy-friendly I chatted with a real person about each product and I could tell she was really double checking everything for me.
Pregnancy Safe Skincare Brands
Can’t win them all in the sustainably made skincare brands – yet! So here are some favorite brands that I was using prepregnancy that are totally safe and was very happy not to have to give up.
** not all products by these brands may be pregnancy-safe just the one I am listing here
La Roche-Posay Double Repair Face Moisturizer – This is my go-to nighttime moisturizer. The Double Repair Face Moisturizer feels thick and luxurious, a little goes a long way to get my full face and neck but dries quickly. I use this when my skin doesn’t need the intense moisturizer of the Caudalie Vinosource-Hydra SOS Intense Hydration Moisturizer.
True Botanicals Pure Radiance Oil – I was gifted the True Botanicals Radiance Oil last spring (2021) and have totally become a fan. A little can go a long long way but this thing moisturizes, makes my skin glow and helps with anti-aging. This is the perfect travel companion. I usually slather it on when I know I’m not leaving the house or putting on makeup but can be used daily too.
Dermologica Precleance – You know when you wash your face and then dry it off and makeup comes off. Super annoying. If you start your routine Dermologica Precleance pre-cleanse that won’t be a problem. This stuff seriously takes off all your makeup, I follow with Biossance face wash.
Supergoop Sunscreen – I carry SuperGoop sunscreen with me always. When I change purses I move my wallet, keys, lip balm, and sunscreen. When we go to the mountains I toss this giant thing of sunscreen in the car + a spray. I love Supergoop cause it feels like it really stays on and protects you from the sun like I don’t get that feeling that my skin is burning as quickly or at all when I use it.